I need to rant for a moment, because my Tuesday did NOT get off to a swimming start. At 4:00a, the smoke alarm outside my bedroom door decided to sing me the song of its people, in the key of “my battery is low”. When I first woke up, I immediately reached for my phone in hopes that someone I had texted the night before would have replied overnight. No red notification bubble. Even worse that I dreamt there WAS a reply waiting for me.
In my moment of cellular letdown, I look up at the top of my screen and wonder why is my phone on 3G and not wifi? I look at the clock. It’s black. As it turned out, the smoke alarm was making noise because the power had gone out.
Guess what happens when the power goes out? I have no heat. The temperature was in the 20s outside because apparently Mother Nature is a belligerently drunk biotch and couldn’t have brought the snow and ice on a day it would have been more welcome, like Christmas. Mind you, it was 63 here on Christmas Eve. I live in NEW ENGLAND.
So, it was 56 degrees in my room. I couldn’t iron, make coffee, or feel my fingers. Then, I go outside to find my car not only covered in snow, but ICE that needs scraping too… and it’s windy windy windy out.
As I said once I got to the office, there are no work-appropriate words to describe what this morning could go and do to itself. Thankfully, by the time CrossFit o’clock rolled around, the day hadn’t gotten any worse. If anything, it was a pleasant surprise that the WOD included 95# power snatches, and I was able to hit them all with no misses. 95lbs is currently my 1RM power snatch, so I guess I’ll have to test again. Win!
Then my friend Jen ate donuts with me after class. Now I’m here ranting to you. Time to chow down on this paleo buffalo chicken and plug onward with lulu’s latest, with pretty blues and greens galore! The power is back on, so I am less annoyed with the world right now.
5 Faves & a Dud – 4/5/16 Upload
Favorite #1: Real Quick Singlet ($58) in rio nights multi/black
This print. THIS PRINT. <3 I’m excited to see it pop up in more styles. Sometimes you just need a loose and fun singlet for when your CRBs get tight and you’re all out of high rise crops to work out in. It helps the fluffy feeling. Pardon my preoccupation with the fluffy feeling, as I have it right now. I mean, I ate THIS for breakfast on Sunday morning:
Favorite #2: Namastay Put Hipster ($18) in kayak & dragonfly
In a kayak, that’s where I’d have liked to be this morning instead of scraping the ice off my windshield. At least yesterday I got lucky and the landscaper clearing the snow from the sidewalk with a leaf blower (?!) was 2 doors down and nicely offered to just blow the car clean. THANK YOU nice landscaper gent! 🙂
I want ALL THE COLORS of this underwear. Why must it be so expensive?! 🙁
OH and there’s a new color in this lineup, faded zap. Looks like a lighter version of last year’s clear mint. Wondering if it will be released in the core styles soon?
Favorite #3: Cover Me Long Sleeve ($88) in samba snake kayak blue hero blue/hero blue
This print is half reptile, half bottom of the pool. Both are pretty sharp, and the subtle contrast between blues gives this one a nice edge. I also love the way there’s a solid panel on the bottom of the back, giving the flattering illusion of the a cropped tee.
Favorite #4: Extra Mile Duffel ($148) in windy wash multi/black
This one caused me to make an audible noise alone in the kitchen when I saw this bag for the first time. Having JUST treated myself to red grape last month, there’s no way I can justify buying this. Amazon Prime must have lost the seeds to my money tree in the mail. Until they come, I’ll admire from afar. As opposed to Daniel/Gina – Daaaaamn, gym bag! You’re a hot piece.
Favorite #5: High Times Pant ($98) in jungle
Lululemon. Do you even KNOW how many basics across the US would have snapped these up before the St. Patty’s Day parade & bar crawl season took place? You’re a month too late on the cash cow. It could be a toss up on if these end up being sheer. My tentative opinion says possibly, erring on the side of yes. I’m now taking bets. If you win, your prize is…… absolutely nothing. Give yourself on the back.
The Dud: On the Move Long Sleeve ($88) in heathered chalk
If you’re pregnant, congrats. Not on the baby, but the fact that this is the closest you will ever get to lulu making a maternity line. Sometimes I have a food baby and name it Clarence, but that’s about it. I spent all week with Clarence last week in New York City. No real babies for me, though. I don’t even own a plant.
Other Stuff Worth Nothing
- The Essentials Bag narrowly missed a spot in the top 5. It isn’t the most stunning, but it’s the perfect size to fit a water bottle and a Swiftly for when you’re spending the day out of the house. Fairs, amusement parks, concerts… it’s perfect for, well, the essentials. I have a very similar purse, and the medium size & crossbody factor is a total win.
- The other top 5 miss (so, 7th place?) was the All Sport Bra III in rio nights multi. Calmly waiting to see if this amazing print comes out in Hi-Rise WUCs, an Energy Bra or a CRB.
- Buried in the new Speed Shorts are samba snake battleship black/black. If your style is more understated, but you don’t want to just wear solids all the time, this pattern would be perfect for you.
- ‘Tis a disappointment that the rio nights multi Speed Tight IV is full-on luxtreme
- While rio nights multi is getting the bulk of the attention, seven wonders multi is making big waves on a lot of pieces this week. I mean… A LOT.
- Pace Rival Crop
- Sculpt Tank
- Cool Racerback
- Energy Bra (jungle, SWM straps)
- Rack Pack Bra
- Wunder Under Pant (Hi-Rise) *Full-On Luon
- High Times Pant *Full-On Luon
- Speed Short *4-way Stretch
- Tracker Short III *4-way Stretch
- Boogie Short (Roll Down) *Full-On Luon
- Pace Rival Skirt II (Regular) *4-way Stretch
- Dash And Splash Cap
- The Towel
- The (Small) Towel
- There’s another new print kicking around, and my personal jury is still out on it: blurry belle multi. It can be seen in the Speeds, CRB and the Time to Shine Skirt. I really like the idea to mix prints on the Speed Shorts, but the contrast is unfortunately causing my eyes to bug out a little bit.
- Speaking of the Time to Shine Skirt, I think it took the place of last year’s Pleat to Street Skirt. The small pleats remain in the back, but the front has been flattened out to give it a crisper, cleaner look.
- While the price tag is a bit high, the Sit in Silence Scarf ($98!!) looks like it could be a practical addition to an early summer beach vacation bag. Aka, dinner/bonfire shawl. As much as I hate on tropical vacations for being so cliche, I’m not going to complain if someone ever decides to whisk me away on one.
- The Run all Day Backpack has always been on my radar, but I’ve never been able to bring myself to spend the money when my $10 plaid/tie dye Jansport does the job so well! Still loving on the windy wash multi, both in this backpack and the Sweaty or Not Kit. Maybe I compromise and upgrade my Target toiletry kit. :p
- I’m happy to see the Sculpt Tank is still being cranked out in new colors! With a work trip coming up to sweaty Alabama in late May, I’m starting to keep an eye for a new pattern to keep the pigment wave multi company in my closet.
- I’m afraid the Run Stuff Your Bra is officially dead and the Rack Pack Bra is its replacement. Not sure how I feel about that yet. The Rack Pack is more supportive, but the RSYB was cut a little lower in front, and had a smoother strap silhouette.
- Other low key additions include the heathered sprinkler Yogi Racerback III, heathered lilac Swiftly Tech LS and the What the Sport Tee in heathered regal plum.
- The new Trapeze Long Sleeve is made of pima cotton, which really means it’s a great way to spend $68 on winter pajamas. Or, in my case, April.
- Deep Zinfandel lovers, say hello to your new Define Jacket and Wunder Under Pant IIIs with a snazzy waistband.
- I’ve got to make it to a store and try the Studio Pant III on. My brain can’t decide if the new slimmer cut in the knee makes them look like hospital scrubs.
- A little bit surprised to see that the Var-City Crop made a comeback. I personally liked the tees and tanks from this collection, so I can’t help but wonder if this means that some styles from that capsule will be coming back around again? LOVED last year’s Var-City Tank.
- The models make the Comfy as Sweat Pant look very cute, but I can’t help but feel like if I gave them a try it would just look like I was still trying to fit into my sweatpants from 5th grade. We’re talking 1996.
Geez. I’ve been typing for a while now. It’s after 9pm! Did I cover it all yet? Close enough. Time to close up le Macbook and step away for the night.
Nothing made it into my shopping cart, but I can’t take my mind off of that Extra Mile Duffel.
Did anyone scoop anything new up this week?