Lululemon REALLY couldn’t keep their pants on today. For most of the summer, upload was around 7pm ET. Then, it kept creeping closer to 6p in August. Today… 4:32p I fire up the app from work and see PANTS galore.
That’s been the gimmick of the week… pants. Lulu’s trying to tech it up and step it up in the bottoms department, where flattery is no longer enough to keep you at the top of the class. Yeah, Wunder Unders look cute at yoga and a casual Happy Hour, but it’s my Under Armours that I just can’t give up when it comes to going on a long run. I’m wearing UA RIGHT NOW as I write this lululemon-related post. Blasphemy, I know. Deal with it.
Well, lululemon is finally paying a bit more attention to the fit and functionality of their pants & crops, in the name of Sensation Innovation. The new names for how lululemon pants fit and feel are broken down into 5 different categories (aka sensations).
Lululemon’s Sensation Innovation
- Tight – They actually tell you to shimmy into these like pantyhose.
- Hugged – The embrace of a close friend? Well, I consider my High Times Pants close friends, so I’ll bite on this one.
- Held-In – What I am dubbing ‘selective Spanx’, with more compression in some areas than others
- Naked – Teehee. Introducing a new fabric called Nulu to help make you feel like you’re not wearing any pants at all! The Align Pant is the newbie available in this fabric, will have to try them on soon.
- Relaxed – All the big stuff you throw over your tight stuff in the winter time after class. Because snow.
Given the huge focus on pants this week, there were only a few exciting additions this week that weren’t designed to cover your arse. Without any further ado…
5 Faves & a Dud – 9/1/15 Upload (#OMGitsSeptember)
Favorite #1: Daily Practice Jacket ($118) in sapphire blue
Holy credit cards Batman, I’m not the only one who saw this and fell in love with it. Only sizes 2 & 4 left at the time of writing this. I saw it in my local store over the weekend and absolutely LOVED IT, but I have a Studio Jacket in Black from last year that I wear all the time, so the ‘stupid cute hoodie to wear around the house all the time’ position in my closet has already been filled.
Favorite #2: Pace Rival Crop ($88) in cyber stripe naval blue black/black
I’m just liking these for the rear view. The curved stitching on the backside plus the tiny piping of stripes perpendicular to the rest of the pattern is subtly fun. Look and see for yourselves.
Favorite #3: Align Pant ($98) in black
Favorite #4: Tight Stuff Tight *Reflective ($148) in black
Favorite #5: Vent it Out Crop ($88) in kanto stripe sapphire blue black/black/sapphire blue
The Dud: Swiftly Arm Warmers ($34) in heathered neon pink
Who is the genius at HQ who honestly thought this was a good idea?!
9/2 EDIT: So I have been shown the errors of my ways on this pick. Thank you, comments section! Being a CrossFitter who still doesn’t know all that much about distance running, it didn’t make a whole lot of sense for these in the functional fitness world. My fault for tunnel vision!
With my first half marathon coming up on 10/10, Connecticut mornings get nippy, but quickly warm up by 9am. Now these don’t seem like a half bad idea at all.
Now I must search for a new piece of fugly! Stand by…
The Dud (Take TWO): Universal Wrap ($118) in black
Let’s try this dishonor of the week again. There actually wasn’t anything outrageously horrible, so it came down to one of the new visors and this piece. Try as we may, long floaty cardigans and I don’t get along. Wearing a blanket-ish pieces may be cute and flattering on smaller girls, but for quasi-Amazons like me, a giant piece of fabric just makes us look bigger. I prefer more form-fitting stuff. The Universal Wrap will surely find a good home in someone else’s closet.
- The FTBW Bra now comes in solid Alarming. An odd choice given the fact that Alarming was released with funky straps, but it’s a welcome change IMHO.
- The Ebb to Street Pant gets a fun tie dye treatment as previewed in last week’s WWL. Liking the look, but have never gotten into the whole seamless cameltoe-inducing style of the Ebb to Street.
- Fun fact about how oblivious I am to the world: for YEARS, I thought the lined vs unlined Studio Pants meant they had a liner a la Speed Shorts (built in skivvies), until I grabbed onto a pair about a month ago in store and felt that the lined version was warm & fuzzy inside. Who knew? Surely everyone but me. Doh. The blonde hair is real, folks.
- Judging by the looks of things on the international side and one the heathered cranberry/bordeaux drama Scuba II’s, we’re about to see an influx of polka dots as the theme du jour. Brace yourselves.
- Favorite Scuba III to date: the Scuba III *Terry in tonka stripe heathered black angel wing/heathered black. Want.
- Ultra Violet also seems to be the next trendy color, with a heathered version in the High Times Pant, What the Sport Singlet, plus the Pace Rival & Pleat to Street Skirts. Shoot, it’s even popping up in the underwear section. Also spying a UV bra in the photo of the Fast Paced Run Visor. Wonder which one it will be?