My first SeaWheeze Half Marathon was just… meh. After a dismal showing here in Vancouver just one year ago, I registered again for 2017 and was determined not to slack off on my race prep. I don’t care if it was hot out, being ill-prepared with conditioning, training, and failing to thoroughly vet out my gadgets, gear and gizmos led me to cross the finish line 25 minutes slower than my first (and only other) half marathon time a year prior.
Many lessons were learned, and in April of 2017 I put down the barbell and laced up my running shoes. There was a snowball’s chance in hell that I was going to allow myself another performance on that beautiful Vancouver race course that I wasn’t proud of.
I now write this on the eve of this year’s race… 17 weeks, 6 days down, ONE half marathon to go. How did I get here? (Airplane and SkyTrain for those nitpicks out there), but here’s every pound I lifted and every step I took:
#SeaKatyWheeze – 2017 Training Recap
- Week 1 – That one week I started.
- Week 2 – That one week I made a bunny cake named Baxter.
- Week 3 – That one week when I started working with Joanna!
- Week 4 – That one week when I discovered ‘heart rate miles’.
- Week 5 – That one week when I got fancy new socks and ate a bunch of donuts in Portland.
- Week 6 – That one week when I made a video.
- Week 7 – That one week when I got completely poured on.
- Week 8 – That one week when I cried and got my rear end kicked by a bunch of Hero WODs.
- Week 9 – That one week when I discovered Body Glide for Feet 😀
- Week 10 – That one week when I got mad at my shoes and then went to see Dave Matthews.
- Week 11 – That one week when I discovered jog.fm.
- Week 12 – That one week when I assigned 1 emoji per each mile of my 11-miler.
- Week 13 – That one week when I went to Minneapolis.
- Week 14 – That one week when I had a meltdown, and consumed 70oz of fluid in a single run.
- Week 15 – That one week when I visited the world’s largest twine ball wound by one man.
- Week 16 – That one week when I rediscovered my bike and cursed the term “air squats”.
- Week 17 – That one week when I did my best “Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?” impression.
- Week 18 – That one week when I tapered and go to bed with fingers crossed that I wake up with the speed of Eliud Kipchoge running through me. A girl can dream, can’t she?
Time for bed.